- Must be 18 years old
- Must have high school diploma or GED or obtain GED within one year of recruitment
- Must have valid N.C. driver’s license
- Must live in or within 1½ miles of Valdese Town limits
- Must have working telephone
- Must pass criminal/driving background investigation
- Must pass a pre-employment medical exam and drug test
- Complete a physical agility test
PHYSICAL AGILITY TEST
- Pull a charged 1 ¾” hose 100’
- Lift and carry a 50’ section of 2 ½” hose with nozzle up and down two flights of stairs three times
- Hoist one 50’ section of 1 ¾” hose with nozzle up a height equal to two flights of stairs two times
- Climb the department’s ladder truck two times
- Put on a piece of breathing apparatus with face-piece blacked out and negotiate a pre-determined obstacle course
All members will be placed on a probation period for 12 months.
REQUIREMENTS TO STAY AN ACTIVE MEMBER
- Must obtain minimum 36 hours fire training per year
- Take and pass a one-time 40-hour Hazardous Materials class and take refresher training annually. These hours count toward the above 36 required training hours.
- Obtain Blood borne Pathogens/Infection Control training annually
- Take self-contained breathing apparatus training annually
- Pass annual medical exam
- Abide by all fire department rules, regulations, and guidelines
- Members are expected to actively participate in fire department functions such as meetings, training/drills, and emergency responses
FIRST RESPONDER PROGRAM
Upon completion of one year active duty, members have an opportunity to participate in the Valdese Fire Department Medical Responder Program.
OCP presents: A Charlie Brown Christmas & Holiday Spectacular
The Town of Valdese invites you to enroll in CodeRED, our community notification system.